Foaming And Skinning
We are finding more and more applications for the PULSAIR 5-55 Drum-Stick and 10-55 Tote-Stick in the Paint and Coatings industry. Mixing paint with PULSAIR often raises issues about foaming and skinning.
Based on our observations and test demonstrations, PULSAIR is an excellent mixing method, especially if heavy pigments are involved. Foaming and skinning can occur, however the PULSAIR, when used properly, will cause no more than that caused by a conventional mixer. This is because the surface area action of the paint (folding, rolling, turning etc.) is similar between PULSAIR and conventional mixing. The difference in total surface area exposure between PULSAIR and mechanical mixing is negligible, therefore PULSAIR will foam only to the extent that the product foams during conventional mixing.
What's important to remember is that the PULSAIR mixer has variable adjustments that control the pulse pressure and frequency; two features that, when fine-tuned, can further mitigate foaming, skinning and air entrainment.
PULSAIR has several customers in the paint industry. The following is typical of their experience with PULSAIR mixing systems:
- A paint company is using a 10-55 Tote-Stick to blend and homogenize paint in a dip tank for automotive parts. As the level in the dip tank falls, the company replenishes it. The 10-55 Tote-Stick is used to blend and re-match the color prior to the next dipping.
- Another paint company is using a 10-55 Tote-Stick because it is the only mixer that fits into the small opening in the tote.
- A third paint company is using a 10-55 Tote-Stick to mix resins and base paint prior to adding pigment. The 10-55 Tote-Stick is used to mix the pigment into the base paint.
- A fourth company is using a 10-55 Tote-Stick to maintain a uniform mixture in the finished product.
- A stain company uses a 10-55 Tote-Stick to mix totes of stain for larger commercial jobs like condominiums, apartments etc.
We hope this helps. Once PULSAIR's miserly use of air is understood, then the misnomers about foaming, skinning and air entrainment can be debunked. The application of Drum and Tote-Sticks to paint is very practical and a good application.