Water Tank Mixing Systems
Our water tank mixing equipment can be fitted into any underground or above ground water storage tank including standpipe water towers, ground storage tanks and elevated storage tanks. Pulsair mixing systems are NSF/ANSI 61 certified
How the water tank mixing process works:
The Pulsair mixing process works by producing sequentially timed pulses of compressed air to generate large bubbles at the tank bottom. The rising bubbles create an immediate vertical circulation pattern in the tank that stirs and blends 100% of the water in the tank. The Pulsair tank mixing process is the fastest and most energy efficient because it uses gravity to do the work of mixing. The only energy consumed is during the process of compressing the air. Once the bubbles are released at the tank bottom, no more energy is consumed. The water in the tank continues to move long after the bubbles reach the water surface.
Eliminates thermal stratification
Pulsair systems uses a vertical active mixing process to quickly break up stagnant layers of water and reduce the formation of thermoclines and thermal stratification in potable water storage tanks. The rising bubbles create immediate vertical mixing circulation pulling colder water up into the tank to achieve uniform water temperature.
Active mixing of potable water with the Pulsair mixing process helps to eliminate nitrification that may occur where chloramine is used to disinfect drinking water. The Pulsair mixing process quickly mixes multi-million gallon water tanks to achieve uniform water temperature reducing the occurrence of nitrification. This saves time, money and conserves water because operators no longer having take tanks off-line or deep-cycle tanks.
Protect against trihalomethanes (THM)
Potable water tank mixing with Pulsair helps protect against trihalomethanes (THMs) and helps ensure EPA Stage 2 DBP Rule compliance. Thermal stratification and thermoclines are eliminated which can elevate THM levels.
Prevent ice formation
Intermittent rising air bubbles from the Pulsair mixing process creates vertical in the tank and increased agitation at the water surface keeping the water in motion which greatly reduces the formation of ice or freezing in the tank.
Potable water tank mixing should happen fast and the mixer should be responsive to unforeseen events that require immediate mixing to occur. Unlike small mechanical mixers that can take up to a week to completely mix a potable water tank or passive duckbill nozzle can only mix when the tank is being filled, the Pulsair mixing process can mix 100% of the water in a multi-million gallon tank on demand.
Custom designed for any tank size
Pulsair custom engineers each potable water tank mixing system to fit all types and capacity tanks. Whether the tank is 3,000 gallons or 3 million, elevated, ground, standpipe or an underground reservoir, the Pulsair mixing system can be custom designed to meet every need. Additionally, the Pulsair water tank mixing system can operate at any water level.
Why to choose Pulsair water tank mixing systems?
- The Pulsair mixing process is an ‘Active’ mixing process and ensures that all the water is mixed whereas ‘Passive’ mixers only work when the tank is being filled which can result in higher costs.
- Water can be 100% mixed at ANY liquid level and in any tank geometry. Other systems require their mixers taken offline when the water falls below a certain level.
- Uniform temperature can be achieved in a matter of minutes. Mechanical technologies can take days to completely mix a tank.
- No maintenance needed inside the tank after installations. Other suppliers guarantee their product for up to two-years – whereas Pulsair mixing systems have a history of over 25 years without any maintenance issues inside the tank.
- Efficiently mixing large multi-million gallon tanks is done easily and quickly with the Pulsair mixing process. It is the most efficient and fastest type of water tank mixing.
Benefits of the Pulsair water tank mixing systems:
- 25-years of proven mixing technology
- Efficiently mixes entire contents of the tank
- No moving parts installed inside tanks
- Promotes aggressive bottom up vertical fluid mixing
- Installed in any size or style of tank
- Solves temperature inversion issues
- Improves water quality
- Quickly mixes in any added disinfectants to achieve equal distribution
Challenges in water tank storage that the Pulsair tank mixing system solves:
- Prevents thermocline that can lead to thermal stratification
- Reduces accumulation of sediment buildup that can lead to microbial growth and contamination
- Provides uniform temperature distribution and consistent water quality without any deadzones.
- Helps reduce amount of chlorination and disinfectants needed thus reducing overall disinfection by-products (DBP) production
- Reduces the formation of nitrates and nitrites (nitrification)
- Prevents freezing and ice formation inside tanks that can lead to costly replacements
Types of installations:
- Ground water tanks
- Elevated water tanks
- Standpipe water tanks
Disadvantages of other water tank mixers:
- Duck Bill type eductor systems
- Only “mixes” water when tank is being filled
- Typically cost more to purchase and install
- Does provide 100% mixing of water in the tank
- Cannot lower THMs other disinfectant byproducts
- Electric motors and water don’t play well – the water always wins.
- Electric motors = more maintenance. Guaranteed.
- Installation costs should be considered in addition to the mixer itself.
- Equipment replacements costs should be considered as well.
- Mixes water too slowly for effective mixing to take place & cannot respond to critical
- event fast enough to provide uniform distribution of disinfectants
- Mechanical mixers have been known to take over a week to mix 1 MG tanks
- Must run 24/7
Contact Pulsair to learn more